Saturday, February 04, 2006

Selling your goods continued

I thought I would post more about selling your stuff to stores. I have been selling various pieces of merchandise for about 12 years now. I have done craft fairs in various cities along the way. I actually think this is a great place to start for people just beginning to craft items they would like to sell. I did one in Cleveland way back when and then when I started making more stuff in Seattle again I did I Heart Rummage. Rummage was a great way to find out what people liked and a good price point for my items.

The one thing that can piss stores off is if you under sell your items at fairs and then sell them in shops for a lot more. It makes sense in a way because you are making all the money so why not sell more at cheaper costs? It just builds bad blood between the customer, the business owner and you. Now that I am a business owner, it makes complete sense. It would get really annoying if someone said "oh this is so cute but i can get it for half the price at rummage". You'll loose store accounts.

Here are some craft fairs to check out!
Urban Craft Uprising

Renegade Craft Fair

Art vs. Craft

Mutation Craft Fair

Craftacular

Bazaar Bizarre

I am sure there are many more, these are just a few I have found that look good to me!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information on selling goods. I am just learning about selling my goods wholesale and at small markets. I would love to send you some places that i am gearing up to send out promotional material to. But I work in Glass. let me know that you think.
Your store is wonderful and is what motivated me to open a small retail space for my sales. I buy most all my presents fancy, schmancy and pants. I appreciate buying local to support the community. Thanks for the inspiration.

Meredith

2:40 PM  
Blogger Schmancy said...

If you would like to send along your list, that would be great! Maybe it will grow and grow and i can organize it by what kind of store and by states.
thanks so much for the kind words. it really means a lot.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home